Week 3 – The gladness and generosity of Mary
Read Luke 1:26-38
1. How does the angel explain God's generosity to Mary?
2. How does Mary react to God's generosity?
3. Put yourself in Mary's position. Does this feel like generosity?
4. What can we learn from Mary's response to God's generosity?
Read Luke 1:39-45
5. Why might Mary have gone to visit Elizabeth?
6. Why does Elizabeth believe that Mary is blessed by God's generosity?
7. Mary is described as 'blessed among women' which some believe mean she too should be revered. What do you think about this?
8. How does this passage show gladness at God's generosity?
Read Luke 1:46-56
9. For what acts of God's generosity does Mary show gladness?
10. What 'great things' has the Lord done for Mary?
11. How will God's generosity affect different groups of people? Will all people be glad about this act of God?
12. What is the greatest thing that God has done for you and how do you show gladness?
Read/sing a version of the Magnificat:
- My soul rejoices in God my Saviour (StF60)
- Look what the Lord has done for me (Graham Kendrick) – This song covers both Elizabeth and Mary
Notice the many great things that God has done for you in your life. Take time to show your thanks.